If you are a giant walking ball of nerves 24/7 like me, nothing stresses you out more than traveling. I wish I could be a “Let’s just hop on a plane and go!” kind of girl, but alas I’m more a “Cathy cartoon” incarnation. However, when it comes to traveling, what does aid in calming me down a bit is being prepared in terms of packing and making sure I have everything that I need! This past week Jake and I ventured to Orlando, Florida for a week-long trip to Disney World, and not to toot my own horn or anything, but I pretty much nailed it on packing the perfect necessities. Now keep in mind up until last week I had only been to Disney World twice, once a school trip when I was 15, and then a day trip last year when Jake and I vacationed in Clearwater, so I had a little knowledge as to what to bring versus what wasn’t necessary before we left. Also, I decided beforehand that looking cute was not going to be a priority on this trip, plus Jake and I didn’t have plans for a fancy dinner, so that (thankfully) eliminated the need for any nice outfits or shoes to pack. All of that being said, here’s a few necessities I’d highly recommend if plan on visiting the Mouse anytime soon.
- Dress like you are going to the gym
- Jake and I logged close to eight miles a day walking around the parks, and I don’t know what I would have done had I not worn tennis shoes. I also opted for athletic shorts, a tee-shirt, a baseball cap, cheap sunglasses, and a sports bra knowing full well that Florida humidity would hit me hard, and that it did! Props to the Disney Instagrammers who can walk the parks in flats and bold red lip all day. I hope they have sponsorships from Dr. Scholl’s and Urban Decay All Nighter Spray.
- This is a given, but make sure you have sunscreen on! I purchased this Super Goop SPF 50 for face and body, and it was outstanding! It withstood sweat and sun all day, nor did it break my face out!
- Hand sanitizer
- Disney is great about having bathrooms at nearly every corner, so if you need to wash your hands it is easily accessible, but having hand sanitizer in my bag was super helpful to eliminate that rust smell that can linger on your hands after getting off a rollercoaster!
- Rain jacket/Poncho
- I promise it will rain on you while you are there, so unless you are in a Natasha Bedingfield music video, or weren’t able to shower the night before, make sure you pack something to keep you dry!
- Extra pair of socks
- If you find yourself on River Rapids or Splash Mountain (which was closed while we were there #sadfaceemoji), an extra pair of socks to change into after the ride will be great so you don’t have to worry about squishy feet all day!
- I wish I had gone full 90’s tourist and also had an accompanying fanny pack, but the backpack worked just fine holding all of our daily belongings!
- (Totally not a necessity, but it was super helpful) Bath salts or Bath Bombs
- On our first day in the parks, Jake and I had dinner at the Grand Floridian Hotel, and on their top floor was a Lush equivalent bath store called Basin (there’s also a location in Disney Springs)! They had decorated bars of soap, shampoo and conditioner bars, and scented bath bombs and bath salts! They had a 3 for $12 deal on bath bombs, so I picked up a few, and lemme tell you, they were SO great to relax in a tub of hot water after a long day of walking and standing in line. I can’t for the life of me remember, but I want to say one of the bath bombs was called “Coastal” and smelt just like the scent they spray during Soarin’!
- DIY Foot Foam Roller
- You don’t even have to pack this one! All you need is full water bottle (I recommend filling with hot water, plus Disney exclusively sells Dasani, and those bottles are the perfect size) and just roll it back and forth underneath your feet for a few minutes when you get back to your hotel! It’ll help your tired and achy feet, and help your feet recover from a long day.
I hope this helps! Let me know in the comments if you have any essentials that you bring with you on your Disney trips! Side note, I’ll be doing a post with more of my Disney photos (hopefully) next week! For some reason, my iPhone isn’t acting up and won’t AirDrop or even e-mail photos right now, so once I take the time to just do a manual upload with a cord like it’s 2001, then we should be good to go!
What is your favorite ride at Disney?
(Mine is Soarin’ and also The People Mover because I am super lazy)