For the first time in three years, I’m going on vacation! Granted, I’ve gone to northern California two years in a row to visit my sister, but I’m excluding family trips because it wouldn’t be fair to call something a vacation when on the first trip we had to call 911 on Dad for unexpectedly fainting (also shout out to me for dialing 911, panicking, hanging up, and handing the phone to sister telling her to do it), and then on the second trip my sister got into an accident and totaled her car (I would have definitely not hung up on 911 for that situation). I should note that they both ended up being fine, but clearly my family shouldn’t travel together because the universe is trying to kill us. Needless to say, both trips haven’t been a breeze, and my last “real” vacation was a quick trip to NYC with my friend Raul. My upcoming trip to Florida will be my first real beach vacation! I know absolutely nothing about beach essentials, so for any of my beach enthusiasts/residents out there, please feel free to chime in as to what I should bring! The following is a rough draft of my checklist:
- One of those t-shirts that looks like you’re wearing a bikini.
- A half empty bottle of Banana Boat tanning oil (SPF 4!) that has been in my childhood bathroom for upwards of fifteen years.
- A bath towel, because growing up 9 hours from the nearest beach never warranted the need of purchasing an actual beach towel.
- I’m going to purposefully not pack my contact lens case or solution because even if I place a post-it note reminder on every surface of my apartment I’d still forget it anyways.
- A swimsuit that was purchased without trying on first because nothing tanks my self confidence faster and makes me look like a jaundiced swamp monster than being under fitting room lighting. (Seriously though, whose bright idea (pun intended) was it to go with “Muted Mustard Yellow” for the bulb choice in every fitting room in America?)
It’s a short list, but I’m trying to pack light. Also, a big thanks to Samantha for the awesome restaurant recommendations on a my vacation post from awhile back! I can’t wait to as much seafood as humanly possible! I’ll be out most of next week (including my birthday on Tuesday!) but I’ve got a few posts lined up, and even a few guest posts to share as well! I’ll catch you all up with a (god I hope) super fun vacation recap in a couple of weeks!
Did you go on any fun vacations this summer?